Thursday 30 May 2013

Cara Delevingne & Cole Smith Are Saint Laurent's Latest Stars

I like many others was very unsure about Hedi Slimane's grungy vision for Saint Laurent's Autumn/Winter 2013 collection when I first clapped eyes on it. His super sleek and chic  debut collection for Spring/Summer was my favourite show feeling so true to the house's DNA, with the beautifully bohemian and monochromatic vibe easily becoming the defining trend of the season.
 
Despite revisting the collection numerous times and liking the odd item, I just felt so underwhelmed. It just didn't look "luxury" enough and a little too casual with easily accessible pieces that weren't original.
 
However, since the release of the upcoming campaign starring model Cara Delevingne and musician *Cole Smith, I must admit I have been swayed. Seeing each look on Cara (one of my favourite new faces) has helped me to understand the collection's concept. She does look fresh, a little reckless and effortlessly cool in each moody seaside shot. She suits the aesthetic for Hedi's youthful new direction and I do appreciate it now. Here are some of my favourite shots from the campaign:
 
 
 
 
All Images © Hedi Slimane/Saint Laurent
 
I think I was originally quite shocked as I had never seen and had never expected a Saint Laurent collection to look so cutting edge with a stark contrast to previous collections. However, I am now quite curious to see what Hedi's next development at Saint Laurent will be.


 
 
 
 
 

* Despite feeling underwhelmed with the womenswear show, the menswear show was actually my favourite show of the season. I do have a slight penchant for plaid shirts and skinny jeans.

No comments:

Post a Comment