Monday 22 April 2013

A Perennial Keepsake: The Breton Striped Top

For as long as I can remember, a Breton Striped Top has always been present in my wardrobe. I think what has always drawn me to the design is how versatile it is. With little effort, I can easily transition it from day into night, dressing it up with a blazer and tailored trousers in the evening and dressing it down in the day with a pair of jeans and converse. Even if my look couldn't be more casual, I always feel a little more put together when wearing a Breton Striped Top. Maybe a little nostalgic, I have always put this down to my love of Parisian Chic and the fact that Coco Chanel introduced the design into the mainstream through her nautical collection in 1917, after being inspired by the fishermen of Deauville. Seen on the likes of: Alexa Chung, Andy Warhol, Audrey Hepburn, Brigitte Bardot, Edie Sedgwick, Emmanuelle Alt, James Dean, Jean Paul Gautier, Jean Seberg, Kate Moss, Olivia Palermo and Pablo Picasso, the Breton Striped Top is a wardrobe essential and perennial keepsake of mine.


I would love to know your perennial keepsake/wardrobe essential. Please let me know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment