Wednesday 3 April 2013

Céline Autumn/Winter 2013

Since reading the fantastic interview featured in the March issue of US Vogue between Hamish Bowles and Céline designer Phoebe Philo, I have to say my interest in the brand and appreciation for Phoebe Philo's designs has increased. In the rare interview, I loved to hear Phoebe's opinion on certain topics; for example, the vast array of copies available on the market for which she loves and feels flattered, referring to Coco Chanel's statement: "when you are not being copied, that's when it's time to worry". She comes across as undeniably cool and down to earth. She is by far one of the greatest designers of our time. Her intriguing designs are both influential and inspirational. I instantly revisited Céline's sensational Autumn/Winter 2013 collection once I had finished reading the interview.

Cozy minimalistic elegance is how I would describe the collection. Models were seen cuddling wool clutches in pastel toned bouclé's and fuss free felt-wools in the forms of constructed shifts and oversized dress coats. Flaring on the skirts added bounce to sleek and chic shapes and sharp separates stayed true to the brands sporty heritage. Sensuality, edge and modernity was brought to each look with stacked ankle boots or skin-tight thigh-high boots. Interest and frivolity was added within the predominantly monochromatic collection with a plush mink dress and checkered laundry bag inspired looks. I loved these fun and quirky looks. I look forward to seeing them on the street and in editorial. My favourite look of the entire collection was the *controversial grey, knotted sleeve trapeze coat cape. It's super chic and will no doubt become a best seller.

This collection was pure perfection - contemporary, elegant and effortless. It was a brilliant development of the Céline woman and has since become one of my favourite shows of fashion week. I'm now looking forward to seeing what Phoebe will do next.


*Controversy now surrounds this look as Geoffrey Beene designed a near identical version in 2004.



No comments:

Post a Comment