Friday 8 March 2013

My Favourite Shows Of Paris Fashion Week: Autumn/Winter 2013 - Part 2

As promised, here is part 2 of my favourite shows from Paris Fashion Week.






Sarah Burton brought another magnificently stunning collection to fashion week for Alexander McQueen. The collection may have been small (there were only ten looks compared to the usual 34 as the collection was created during the last stages of Sarah Burton's pregnancy) but it definitely didn't disappoint. The small number allowed more work to be applied to each look (if that's even possible with McQueen's craftsmanship). The primary inspiration for the collection was classic ecclesiastical wardrobe with undertones of the virgin queen. The collection was filled with Elizabethan  silhouettes, ruff collars, pearls and feathers - all fit for a royal. An edgier vibe was introduced with caged pearl veils, thimble gloves and stacked ankle strap heels.  This collection was truly breathtaking. The craftsmanship of the McQueen atelier was highlighted to the max with incredible results. I can't wait for next season!








The Balenciaga show was without doubt the most hyped about show of the Autumn/Winter 2013 calendar. This was due to the fact that this would be the first show under the creative direction of Alexander Wang who succeeded the position after the resignation of Nicolas Ghesquière, Balenciaga's former creative director for 15 years. I was shocked and saddened when I saw the news that Nicolas Ghesquière had parted ways with Balenciaga. He was for me, one of the most inspiring and influential designers of our time. I was however excited to see Alexander Wang's perspective. I knew he would bring a young and fresh energy to the house, and this he did. He clearly studied the house's archives and brought his youthful edge to classic Balenciaga silhouettes, for example, the iconic cocoon coat and rounded lines. He experimented with a variety of fabrics. One that stood out was a cracked leather that was actually a mohair. My favourite touch of his was the marble motif he used on the lining of dresses and soles of shoes - the shoes were fantastic! This idea was so unusual and original. This was a sophisticated and powerful collection. It was a strong debut and I'm really looking forward to seeing future collections.



This has been a fantastic season. There are many more great shows/collections I have seen; however, the ones featured in these posts are the ones that stuck in my mind and that I genuinely loved. I hope you enjoyed reading my thoughts on all the shows featured. I'd love to know what shows were your favourites, whether it be from Paris, Milan, London or New York. Please let me know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment