Saturday 23 February 2013

Grace: A Memoir By Grace Coddington Book Review

 
 
I knew when I started this blog that I wanted to review Grace: A Memoir By Grace Coddington as I hadn't long finished reading it and had never enjoyed reading a book so much in my life.
 
I'll be honest, I didn't know much about the creative director of American Vogue before watching the behind the scenes documentary film "The September Issue". However, once I had seen the film I knew I wanted to learn more about the flame haired heroine so couldn't believe my luck when the news broke that she would be releasing her memoirs in late 2012. The book went straight to the top of my Christmas wish list and I couldn't be happier when I later received it.
 
The book spans over 70 decades including Grace's childhood in 1940's Anglesey, Wales where she grew up at her family's whitewashed hotel, her introduction into the world of modelling after winning the young model section of a Vogue competition, her rise up the ranks of modelling, her introduction into the world of styling at British Vogue through to her work at Calvin Klein and her start at American Vogue where she currently remains its creative director.
 
This book was such a joy to read. I found it magical and highly inspiring. I loved to hear the array of experiences Grace has encountered working in the fashion industry. I loved the witty narrative and quirky and imaganative illustrations by Grace herself. They were the perfect accompaniment to the text giving a greater idea of the moment. Another fantastic feature is the archive of Grace's favourite work at the back of the book.  I was so happy that a personal favourite of mine, the Alice in Wonderland themed editorial featuring Natalia Vodianova and an array of designers, was featured. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the world of fashion, photography or art.
 
I hope this review helped you and happy reading!
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment